Choosing the Right Paint Color for Your Sacramento Area Project
When thinking about painting projects, you first have to select who will do the work. Maybe it's you, but many people hire professional painters. Sometimes that is easy, for others, it may be difficult. Once that process is done, it comes down to what colors to use. This can be very stressful for many people. Some folks prefer a timeless look, while others are searching for colors to match their mood. It takes time, samples, and for most, it takes help from a professional. Here are some tips for choosing your colors.
- Hire a company that offers free color consultations. They will come out before the job starts with their color charts, discussing many aspects of the colors. They should also be willing to provide actual samples if you desire. Some people just know and don’t need to see samples, but for many samples are a critical part of the decision-making process.
- Things to keep in mind when choosing your colors are furnishing, lighting, what you want the area to feel like. Colors look very different on different surfaces. For interior colors, a trap that some can fall into is the fear to mix contrasting colors. It is okay to have a grey next to vibrant color. For instance, a bright yellow can instantly add energy and excitement to a room when used as an accent wall. When utilized in the right space, such as an office, a bright color may give you the extra boost you need. On the other hand, a cooler tone will help calm the nerves. A cool blue or teal can set the scene for an area of relaxation. Paired with more neutral colors, these colors will feel inviting and sophisticated. For an exterior, one color on siding can look totally different on stucco. What color is your roof? These points should be considered when picking colors.
- Start with the largest surfaces first. When picking your exterior colors, choose the body color, then the trim color, then the accent color. They all need to work together, and a professional will be able to guide you.
- Do you have a favorite blanket, shirt, or plate that you just love the color of? There is a new technology that allows us to match the colors, exactly.
- Have fun! Colors should be personal to you. The beauty of paint is that it's impermanent. If you get tired of it in 5 years, you can easily change it.
- Don’t forget that sheens of paint matter. An eggshell paint allows you to clean the wall, where flat paint is not cleanable. While the sheen affects cleanability, it also can change the look of the color. Make sure to consider the sheen - not just the color
At the end of the day, you want to be happy with the colors. Don’t settle for something that you are just "okay" with. You will be living with the colors for the foreseeable future.
Here at Brooks Painting, we are not just great at painting, we love color! If you are in need of help, give us a call.